Content creators face the steady challenge of producing content that is relevant and timely. Since the trending topics and attention of the internet change focus every day, it’s easy for pieces to get buried under an avalanche of new content. So how can you help get your content noticed? Simple: Take advantage of content that’s already getting noticed!
“Newsjacking” is the concept of injecting your brand into the daily news cycle. If there’s news that’s related to your industry, then you’ve found the opportunity to generate traffic from that coverage. The words “breaking news” always grab our attention, so why not attach your brand to them?
Improve Your ROI
According to Ad Age, only 8 percent of content creators are “very satisfied” with their ROI – return on investment. Newsjacking helps improve your ROI by boosting SEO, attracting readers with timely content, and giving your brand more credibility.
- Boosting SEO: Newsjacking helps do this when you promote vigorously and take advantage of Google’s algorithm. People will be searching the web for breaking news, so be sure to use those keywords in your headline and content.
- Attracting readers: If you associate your content and brand with the story early in the news cycle, you will attract readers who are interested in learning more. Take advantage of Twitter, Facebook, and other social media outlets while the story is trending.
- Grow credibility: People trust brands that not only publish content consistently, but are clearly engaged with current events.
Even large corporations have become aware of the value of the news cycle. Coca Cola has recently added a former journalist and TV anchor to their team to brainstorm news-related content for their web presence.
How to Newsjack
Are you convinced to newsjack yet? While any brand can take advantage of the trending news stories, there are a few tips you should keep in mind!
- Make a connection. Your brand has a specific audience. Only connect to stories that would interest your audience or directly relate to your brand.
- Include keywords. Keywords are a natural part of content creation, but are easy to forget when writing pieces related to a story. Besides, you’ll want to take advantage of people searching for related news.
- Be positive. Avoid taking advantage of negative news stories such as a military coup or a national tragedy. If you decide to newsjack a disaster or tragedy, then make it a positive spin.
Once all of these aspects are included in your content, act quick to publish and promote it. Remember that news stories on the internet have a short life span, so speed must be considered!
Brands that Newsjack Effectively
Newsjacking isn’t a new concept. Traditional media took advantage of trending stories long before the internet existed.
Now that newsjacking has become a part of online content creation, there are brands to be commended for doing it right. In the midst of the fiscal cliff debate, Spirit Airlines made many word plays such as “When it Comes to Your Travel, Spirit is Always Fiscally Responsible!”
While you’ll want to note the brands that newsjack effectively, always remember to add your own voice to the conversation! Allow your brand to grow into a thought leader that people will want to follow!
Have you been using newsjacking to boost your site? Do you have any tips to add?
Latest posts by Daniel (see all)
- Who Takes Young Adult Novels Seriously? 7 Reasons Why You Should - July 24, 2014
- RxContent: How to Find Your Marketing Prescription - July 22, 2014
- What the 7 Greatest Trailers of All Time Can Teach You About Content Marketing - July 3, 2014